Now showing items 1-20 of 288

    • Adam and Eve (or the Fall of Man) 

      Jean de Wespin (il Tabachetti), Michele Prestinari, Giovanni d'Enrico, and Giuseppe Antonini
      This chapel was part of the Post-Tridentine efforts to reorganize the Sacro Monte of Varallo. It was designed by Galeazzo Alessi (1512 - 1572) and the building was finished in 1566. Giacomo d'Adda was the patron of this ...
    • Adoration of the Magi 

      Andrea da Saronno, attr. to
      This altar sits at the end of the right transept in the sanctuary of Santa Maria del Monte. The figures are made of wood and smaller than the life-sized figures in the chapels along the Via Sacra. They are usually dated ...
    • Adoration of the Shepherds 

      Gaudenzio Ferrari (attr. to) and Giovanni d'Enrico
      This scene is part of the Bethlehem Complex, which is comprised of Chapels Five to Nine and is among the oldest group of chapels on the mountain. Varallo's first guidebook, Questi sono li Misteri che sono sopra el Monte ...
    • Altarpiece 

      Pietro Bussolo (sculptures), Bartolomeo da Isola Dovarese (frame), and Vicenzo Foppa, attr. (painting)
      This magnificent painted and sculpted altarpiece (almost 6 meters tall) is located on the high altar of the Cathedral of Salò (on Lake Garda). The ornate Gothic frame was completed by Bartolomeo da Isola Dovarese in 1475. ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Abbondio 

      Giovan Angelo Del Maino
      The enormous and splendid painted wood altarpiece (roughly the height of a 3-storey building) is still in its original church, the Cathedral of Como, but not in its original location within the church, which explains the ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Ambrose 

      Unknown Lombard artist
      This painted marble altarpiece is dated 1482, making it the earliest one to be preserved in the Cathedral of Como. The inscription also names the patron, Giacomo de Vituduno, who is shown kneeling in the upper register on ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Anthony 

      Altobello Persio, attr.
      The second last chapel on the left of the central nave of San Pietro Caveoso in Matera is the Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua. Made in 1531, the six painted stone relief panels have been tentatively attributed to Altobello ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Anthony of Padua 

      Unknown
      This Baroque Altarpiece of St. Anthony of Padua was commissioned by the Frati Minori in the 17th century. St. Anthony is placed in a rounded niche, painted bright blue and decorated in three dimensional gold stars. Although ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Benedict 

      Niccolò Ferrando
      The attribution of the Altarpiece of St. Benedict to Niccolò Ferrando is based on its comparison to the Altarpiece of St. Catherine, also located in Santa Caterina at Galatina, and to the Mausoleum in Otranto. The sculpture ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Catherine of Alexandria 

      Niccolò Ferrando
      Niccolò Ferrando's Altarpiece of St. Catherine in Santa Caterina d'Alessandria in Galatina is made of light-coloured stone from Lecce. Catherine's eyes have dark painted pupils, and the eyes of the other figures are pupilless ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Joseph 

      Lorenzo da Mortara, attr. to
      This painted and gilded wood altarpiece is in its original location in San Lorenzo in Mortara. It was commissioned by a lay confraternity dedicated to St. Joseph, carpenter and husband of the Virgin Mary. Joseph was the ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Lawrence 

      Giovan Angelo Del Maino and Tiburzio Del Maino (sculpting), and Battista da Legnano and Francesco (painting)
      This painted and gilded wood altarpiece is magnificent in scale (about 5 meters in height) and covered with in-the round and relief sculptures, as well as fanciful classical architectural ornament, a splendor that is ...
    • Altarpiece of St. Stephen 

      Giacomo Del Maino and Giovan Angelo Del Maino
      This painted wood altarpiece is in its original location in San Michele in Pavia, but it has been encased in a later frame, and the architecture has been partially redone. The work was designed and begun by Giacomo Del ...
    • Altarpiece of the Body of Christ 

      Giovan Angelo Del Maino (Resurrected Christ), attr. and Andrea da Saronno (Mary and St. John the Evangelist), attr.
      This altarpiece in San Lorenzo in Mortara is dedicated to the body of Christ (as is evident from the inscription on the classicizing architecture), but the three painted wood sculptures clearly were not originally placed ...
    • Altarpiece of the Immaculate Virgin 

      Giacomo Del Maino and workshop
      This painted wood altarpiece is still in its original location in San Maurizio in Ponte in Valtellina, surrounded by frescoes (also late 15th C), which repeat architectural motifs from the altarpiece and complete the ...
    • Altarpiece of the Immaculate Virgin 

      Giacomo Del Maino and Giovan Angelo Del Maino
      This altarpiece is currently housed in an oratory built in the seventeenth century, Madonna della Neve in Sernio (a small town nestled in the mountains north of Tirano in the Valtellina)and so must have been moved from its ...
    • Altarpiece of the Madonna of Constantinople 

      Altobello Persio
      This altarpiece is in the Chapel of the Confraternity of Corpus Christi and the Madonna di Constantinopoli in Matera, adjacent to the Cathedral and now accessible as a part of the Museo Diocesano. The richly ornate classical ...
    • Altarpiece of the Virgin of the Assumption 

      Giovan Angelo Del Maino and Tiburzio Del Maino (sculpture), Gaudenzio Ferrari and Fermo Stella (painting and gilding)
      This huge painted wood altarpiece, which at about five meters tall occupies the entire altar wall of the Santuario dell'Assunta in Morbegno (in the Valtellina of northern Lombardy), serves as a particularly grand frame ...
    • Angels 

      Vincenzo Ciniselli (design), Giacomo Bono (stucco work), and Il Salo (stucco work)
      The large stucco angels framing symbols of the Virgin Mary in the vaulting of the Santuario della Beata Maria Vergine dei Miracoli in Saronno were created in 1631-3, as a part of rennovations of the site, which was (and ...
    • Angels (semi-dome of the apse of the main chapel) 

      Pompeo Bianchi, Giuseppe Bianchi, and Domenico Fontana di Muggiò (stucco) and Alessandro Armanino (gilding)
      The Sanctuary of the Madonna di Tirano, built in response to a miraculous vision, was and is the greatest centre of devotion in the Valtellina (a zone in the mountains of northern Lombardy, very close to the Swiss border), ...