This community includes research outputs produced by faculty and students of the Department of Art History and Art Conservation. Submitting works to QSpace may enables compliance with the Tri-Agency Open Access Policy on Publications.

When you submit your work to QSpace, you retain copyright and grant the Library a non-exclusive license to distribute and preserve. Works are open access unless restricted by the creator.

Collections in this community

Recent Submissions

  • The Italian Sacri Monti and their Sculptures as a Spiritual Boundary during the Counter-Reformation 

    Forte, Kennis
    The Sacri Monti in northern Italy have been understood as a group since the late sixteenth century, when religious leaders across Lombardy and Piedmont began building new pilgrimage sites based on the example at Varallo ...
  • A Case for Utopian Dreaming: Feminisms within Canadian Artist-Run Centres 

    Berson, Amber
    This dissertation is motivated by a set of questions elaborated from a central query: What is a flourishing future? When applied to the state of artist-run centre culture, and specifically feminist identified artist-run ...
  • The Countess’ Print Album: An Examination of Heads, English & Foreign Collected by Henrietta Louisa Jeffreys, Countess of Pomfret 

    Marshall, Kate
    In 1730, Henrietta Louisa Fermor (née Jeffreys) compiled an album of printed portraits with hand-written biographies. Through a detailed examination of the portraits and biographies held in the album titled Heads, English ...
  • Transformations in Material Culture: John Blueboy and the Tamarack Goose 

    Cull, Shaelagh
    In 1965, tamarack goose sculptures were introduced in the southern James Bay Cree community of Moose Factory, Ontario. Taking inspiration from decoys used for hunting, John Blueboy, a Cree artist from Rupert’s House, Québec, ...
  • Crucifixion 

    Dionigi Bussola
    This chapel represents the Crucifixion, the fifth and final sorrowful mystery of the rosary. Construction was completed in 1623, but the interior decorations were not added until the second half of the seventeenth century. ...
  • Ascension of Christ 

    Francesco Silva
    Chapel Twelve illustrates the second of the rosary's glorious mysteries. Bernascone had originally planned to build the chapel elsewhere, along the medieval road that remains visible between the Arch of Saint Ambrose and ...
  • Presentation at the Temple (or The Circumcision) 

    Andrea Prestinari or Cristoforo Prestinari, attr. to
    These carved wooden figures sit on the altar in the left nave of the sanctuary at Santa Maria del Monte. Neither the altar nor its sculptures are mentioned in the record of a pastoral visit ordered by Carlo Borromeo in ...
  • Assumption of the Virgin Mary 

    Francesco Silva and Agostino Silva
    Despite the fact that this is the last freestanding chapel in the series at Varese, it was among the first to be built. (The final mystery is represented inside the Sanctuary.) It represents the fourth glorious mystery of ...
  • Adoration of the Magi 

    Andrea da Saronno, attr. to
    This altar sits at the end of the right transept in the sanctuary of Santa Maria del Monte. The figures are made of wood and smaller than the life-sized figures in the chapels along the Via Sacra. They are usually dated ...
  • Christ among the Doctors (or The Dispute in the Temple) 

    Francesco Silva
    The Fabbrica del Rosario broke ground on this chapel in May of 1607, but construction was not finished until 1654, an unusually long process for the chapels at Varese. It illustrates the fifth and final glorious mystery ...
  • Saint Francis worships at the altar of Porziuncola 

    Cristoforo Prestinari
    After his temptation, which is the subject of the precious chapel, Francis collected twelve white and twelve red roses from the miraculous rosebush and brought them to the altar of a nearby chapel in Assisi, called the ...
  • Temptation of Saint Francis 

    Antonio Pino, attr. to
    There is a considerable amount of debate about which artists contributed to this chapel and when they completed their work. According to the records of a pastoral visit of 1661, the chapel and its decorations were finished ...
  • Visitation 

    Francesco Silva
    The Virgin Mary's visit to her cousin Elizabeth, after both women had miraculously become pregnant, is the subject of this chapel. This Visitation is the second of five joyful mysteries in the rosary. The chapel was built ...
  • Christ crowned with the Crown of Thorns 

    Francesco Silva
    This chapel represents the third sorrowful mystery of the rosary, in which Jesus is mocked and crowned with thorns. Construction was finished in 1623, and the sculptures were added a few years later, probably in 1625 or ...
  • Oration in the Garden 

    Francesco Silva
    Chapel Six illustrates the first of the five sorrowful mysteries of the rosary. Construction began around 1606 and continued until sometime after 1656, when the porch was added. The nine life-sized figures inside were ...
  • Climb to Calvary 

    Francesco Silva
    The construction of this chapel was completed in 1623. Therefore, the figures, which were modeled by Francesco Silva (1568 - 1641), were probably made and installed in the mid-sixteen-twenties. Silva, who also sculpted the ...
  • Saint Francis Renounces his Worldly Goods 

    Cristoforo Prestinari
    Construction of this chapel began in 1596 and was entirely funded by Carlo Bascapè, the Bishop of Novara. Inside, the tableau shows Saint Francis renouncing his claim to inherit his father's wealth and worldly goods before ...
  • Nativity 

    Cristoforo Prestinari and Francesco Silva
    This chapel was built between 1605 and 1611 and represents the Nativity, the third joyful mystery of the rosary. Part of the mountain had to be carved away to create enough space for the foundation, which has made the air ...
  • Christ at the Column (or The Flagellation) 

    Giovanni Battista da Corbetta
    This wooden sculpture of Christ at the Column was made for the scene of the Flagellation at the Sacro Monte di Varallo, which is currently housed in Chapel Thirty. The chapel that originally housed this scene was built ...
  • Holy Sepulcher 

    Unknown and Gaudenzio Ferrari
    This is the oldest chapel on the Sacro Monte. Its construction was funded and overseen by Milano Scarognini, a banker and magistrate from Varallo. Work on the chapel began on October 7, 1491. That date and Scarognini's ...

View more