Mary Giving her Girdle to St. Thomas
Andrea della Robbia
MetadataShow full item record
This glazed terracotta altarpiece, currently in the Collegiata in Foiano della Chiana, was originally probably made for the Pieve Vecchia or San Leonardo. The patrons, depicted in the predella, are named in the inscriptions: "QUIRICO M. JACOPA" and "QUESTA TAVOLA A FATTO FARE QUIRICO DI BARTOLOMEO DI SERIACOPO. FATTA ADI 12 APRILE 1502." An actual (modern) ribbon is used for Mary's girdle -- since it would be impossible to make this in terracotta, a cloth or leather belt of some kind must have been used in the Renaissance. The composition is predominantly blue and white, except for the faux porphyry of the sarcophagus and the flowers abundantly blooming out of it. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.