Baccio da Montelupo, attributed to
MetadataShow full item record
This half-length glazed terracotta image of St. Romano is currently housed in San Concordo in Contrada in Lucca, along with similar half-length terracotta images of the Madonna and Child and St. Pellegrino. The images of the saints presumably originally flanked the Madonna, when all of the works were probably made for San Romano in Lucca, the observant Dominican church that had many works by the Della Robbia. Giancarlo Gentilini, among other scholars, has suggested that these works were executed by Baccio da Montelupo, who had carried out commissions for Savonarola. Baccio da Montelupo is documented to have been in Venice in 1508, and the solid forms, stylized waves of hair, and classicizing breastplate recall Venetian sculpture of the turn of the Cinquecento. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.