MetadataShow full item record
These glazed terracotta tiles (now housed in the Museo Civico, Montepulciano) are all that survive of the original covering of the dome of San Biagio in Montepulciano, the architectural masterpiece of Antonio da Sangallo. It is unclear whether Antonio intended for the splendid colouristic effect that these tiles must have had, as he was dead by the time they are documented to have been made by Santi Buglioni in 1544. (An autograph drawing by Antonio da Sangallo suggests that some sort of tiling was in the original plans.) The tiles were replaced with sheets of zinc in 1603. While not sculpture, the tiles are relevant in this collection as evidence for a different kind of architectural decoration made in glazed terracotta. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.