MetadataShow full item record
This wood statue of the Angel Gabriel, generally attributed to Andrea Pisano, was originally in the the Convento di San Matteo and is currently housed in the Museo di San Matteo in Pisa. It is datable to Andrea's documented sojourn in Pisa from 1342-7. The partly preserved polychromy includes particularly fine details on the angel's clothing. This statue was originally paired with one of the Virgin, making an Annunciation scene. Gabriel is shown at the first moment of the narrative, striding forward and smiling, arm raised in a rhetorical gesture, about to give the good news. Slots in the figure's back were used to attach wings, which do not survive, likely also made of painted wood or possibly of more ephemeral materials (fabric or even maybe feathers attached to a frame). Annunciation pairs made out of wood were popular in Tuscany from the trecento into the early quattrocento. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.