Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorunknown German artisten_US
dc.date.accessioned2018-09-06T16:51:27Z
dc.date.available2018-09-06T16:51:27Z
dc.date.createdc. 1420-30en_US
dc.identifier.citationMargrit Lisner, Holzkruzifixe in Florenz und in der Toskana (Munich: Bruckmann, 1970), 62.en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1974/24690
dc.descriptionSan Lorenzo, Florenceen_US
dc.description.abstractThis painted wood crucifix is currently displayed in a chapel in the left aisle of San Lorenzo in Florence, with a later aureole behind, flanked by painted cut-out figures of the Virgin Mary and St. John the Evangelist, created by Lorenzo Lippi in the seventeenth century. It is not uncommon for crucifixes, which were often venerated as miraculous, to be later given such a narrative context. The pathos of the terribly thin, copiously bleeding, harshly angular body indicates that this is the work of a German sculptor from c. 1420-30. In contrast, Italian sculptors of the period depicted Christ's body as more elevated and classical, twisting with greater fluidity. In the late fourteenth and early fifteenth centuries, German sculptors who specialized in making crucifixes traveled through Italy. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.en_US
dc.format.mediumPainted wooden_US
dc.subjectCrucifixen_US
dc.subjectChristen_US
dc.subjectCrossen_US
dc.subjectJesusen_US
dc.titleCrucifixen_US
dc.typeImageen_US
dc.rights.holderUna D'Eliaen_US
dc.rights.licensePhotograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licenseen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record