MetadataShow full item record
Pietro Torrigiano made this painted terracotta bust, along with a painted marble bust of St. Fina in 1496, when he was living in the house of Stefano Coppi in Rome. Coppi gave the two busts to the Spedale di Santa Fina in San Gimignano, his hometown. These busts, now in deposit at the Museo Civico in San Gimignano, were displayed in rounded niches in the hospital chapel. St. Fina, a thirteenth century girl who suffered terrible illness and died at the age of fifteen after having a vision of St. Gregory, is the patron of San Gimignano. The bust of St. Fina had to be adapted to the rounded niche with the addition of a ball of coloured marble, but the St. Gregory bust is curved at the bottom and thus seems to have been made slightly later for the niche. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.