Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorPietro Torrigianoen_US
dc.date.accessioned2018-09-06T16:53:08Z
dc.date.available2018-09-06T16:53:08Z
dc.date.createdc. 1496en_US
dc.identifier.citationPuro, semplice e naturale nell'arte a Firenze tra Cinque e Seicento (Florence: Giunti, 2014), cat. 67, p. 298en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1974/24703
dc.descriptionMuseo Civico, San Gimignano, in deposit from the Spedale di Santa Fina, San Gimignanoen_US
dc.description.abstractPietro Torrigiano made this painted terracotta bust, along with a painted marble bust of St. Fina in 1496, when he was living in the house of Stefano Coppi in Rome. Coppi gave the two busts to the Spedale di Santa Fina in San Gimignano, his hometown. These busts, now in deposit at the Museo Civico in San Gimignano, were displayed in rounded niches in the hospital chapel. St. Fina, a thirteenth century girl who suffered terrible illness and died at the age of fifteen after having a vision of St. Gregory, is the patron of San Gimignano. The bust of St. Fina had to be adapted to the rounded niche with the addition of a ball of coloured marble, but the St. Gregory bust is curved at the bottom and thus seems to have been made slightly later for the niche. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.en_US
dc.format.mediumPainted terracottaen_US
dc.subjectSt. Gregoryen_US
dc.subjectBusten_US
dc.titleSt. Gregoryen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.holderUna D'Eliaen_US
dc.rights.licensePhotograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licenseen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record