Lamb of God (Agnus Dei)
Andrea della Robbia, Giovanni della Robbia, and workshop
MetadataShow full item record
This glazed terracotta tondo with the Lamb of God, or Agnus Dei, in the centre is the coat of arms of the wool guild of Florence, who assumed patronage of the Opera del Duomo in 1331. The work dates to 1487, and the payment record for it is the first document that mentions the then 19 year-old Giovanni della Robbia, named along with his father Andrea. Giovanni continued in the lucrative family business of producing works in glazed terracotta. The work is housed in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo in Florence. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.