This thesis examines East Kilbride between 1968-1979. East Kilbride was the first New Town in Scotland, a postwar reform initiated by the British government in 1946 to relocate residents of Britain’s over-crowded cities into new suburban towns. Receiving this distinction in May 1947, the former village of East Kilbride grew from 2,500 residents to nearly 60,000 in 1968. This thesis utilizes East Kilbride as a case study through which to illuminate elements of postwar Scottish history. This is accomplished through an analysis of a key decade in postwar Scottish history from the perspective of three primary forms of identity: Scottish, British and global. Employing techniques from place marketing studies, analysis of these identities reveals the town’s connections to many well-studied events and phenomena in contemporary Scotland. The archival research conducted in this thesis principally examines sources found in the South Lanarkshire Council Archive’s East Kilbride facility, interrogating how these identities are portrayed and contested in these materials.