Francesco di Valdambrino and Vittorio di Domenico
St. Peter , Saint
This painted wooden sculpture is documented to have been sculpted by Francesco di Valdambrino, a Sienese specialist in wood sculpture, and painted by Vittorio di Domenico in 1425. This division of labor between the sculpting and the polychromy was standard practice. Francesco di Valdambrino carved the work out of one large log of walnut and hollowed it, to avoid cracking. Vittorio is called in the documents "sargiaio," which means a craftsman who paints on fabric. He was certainly adept at painting on sculpture, as can be seen in the subtle flesh tones, fake intarsia on the throne, and in gilding in a variety of techniques, including the intricate pastiglia on the tiara. The work was made for Siena and was later donated by Cardinal Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini (Pope Pius III, d. 1503) to the Compagnia di San Pietro in Montalcino. It can be found today in the Museo Civico e Diocesano d'Arte Sacra, Montalcino. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.