Nativity

Abstract
This stone Nativity scene in the Altamura Cathedral dates to 1535. It is relatively well preserved, although the polychromy has noticeably worn in a few places on the figure of the Virgin and Joseph. The angel to the right of Joseph is missing its left hand and part of the violin. In comparison to the other sculptures, the Virgin and Joseph are rendered in vivid detail. The Virgin in particular is sumptuously dressed, painted in her distinctive blue and red colours. On her head she wears a gold-leaf crown of unknown material encrusted with imitation gemstones. Restoration work began on the creche as of 2019, which is when these photos were taken. The photos reveal patch testing, such as on the nose of the ox and half the face of an angel's face. During its restoration the Baby Jesus has been replaced with a plaster version. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
External DOI