Assumption of the Virgin

Abstract
The contract (dated Aug. 18, 1518) for this large terracotta altarpiece survives. Giovanni della Robbia was given the commission to sculpt the Assumption of the Virgin, which was painted with oil paints (traces of which survive) and gilded, while the frame and predella are of glazed terracotta. The work was originally commissioned for the high altar of San Marco in Calcesana (Pisa) and is now in the Camposanto in Pisa. The frame, which includes full-length sculpted figures, is particularly elaborate. The contract also mentions garlands and putti crowning the work, which do not survive. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
External DOI