Madonna and Child
Unknown Tuscan artist
Madonna and Child , Mary , Jesus , Virgin , Christ
This work, currently housed in the Cathedral of Vigevano (near Pavia in Lombardy), was originally kept in the chapel of the Castello Sforzesco in Vigevano. It was moved to the church in 1616 by Bishop P. Odescalchi. This painted wood sculpture has a fluid elegance of Tuscan sculpture -- close to the work of the Sienese wood specialist Francesco di Valdambrino, for example. The duke Gian Galeazzo Visconti called artists from other regions to come work for him and imported works of art from other areas, making the area cosmopolitan in terms of style. This particular sculpture is obscured by heavy repaint and regilding, hiding not only the original polychromed surface but also any details in the sculpting. The crowns, rosaries, halo, and base with the crescent moon and cherubs that were added much later to this sculpture attest to the continuing cult that surrounds it. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.