You Should be Flattered: An Examination of the Non-Reporting of Stalking Victimization

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Date
Authors
Gallagher, Samantha
Keyword
Stalking , Victimization , Non-Reporting , Legislation , General Social Survey
Abstract
Reports from the 2014 Canadian Social Survey (GSS) on Victimization show that only 39% of individuals who have been a victim of stalking had reported their victimization to law enforcement, leaving an astounding 61% of victims to cope with their victimization in silence. Stalking is an interpersonal crime that is highly invasive, yet many victims are reluctant bring to law enforcement. To create a safer Canada, there is a desperate need to address why victims of stalking do not notify law enforcement of their victimization. The main objectives of this thesis are to identify relationships between stalking victimization and Canadian demographics, as well as to close a gap in literature exploring stalking victimization and non-reporting patterns. To achieve these objectives, the Canadian General Social Survey (GSS) – Victimization (2014) is used to analyze respondent accounts of their demographic, stalking victimization, and the reasons why they chose not to report their victimization to law enforcement. Findings show that there are three main categories of non-reporting behaviours: 1. Intrapersonal Perceptions; 2. Interpersonal Relationships; and 3. Distrust with the Criminal Legal System.
External DOI