St. Martha, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Nazzaro, St. Celso, and Prophets

Abstract
The drum and pendants of the medieval church of Santa Marta in Bellano (by the shores of Lake Como) were splendidly redecorated in the late sixteenth century (dated 1582) with frescoes and stucco sculptures: grotesque architectural ornaments, reliefs, and fully in-the-round sculptures (which look to be approximately life-sized, though it is difficult to tell from the floor). These sculptures have been partly painted and gilded, with details such as hair, eyes, and accessories picked out in color to aid in legibility and bring the figures to life. This partial polychromy and use of stucco contrasts with the local tradition of fully painted wood sculpture, as exemplified by a group by Giovan Angelo del Maino housed in the same church. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
External DOI