Ciborium

Research Projects

Organizational Units

Journal Issue

Alternative Title

Abstract

Above the altar of the confessio at San Paolo Fuori le Mura in Rome, closest to the tomb of Saint Paul, stands a ciborium designed by Arnolfo di Cambio (c. 1232/1240–c. 1302/1310) and an assistant named "Pietro," whose names are signed below the corner pinnacles. Scholars suggest "Pietro" may be Pietro di Oderisio (d. 1276–1285). The central inscription, dated 1285, names Bartolomeo, the abbot of the Benedictine monastery, as the patron. He is depicted offering a model of the ciborium to Saint Paul below the inscription. The ciborium survived the 1823 fire, though the porphyry columns are replacements from a major 1840 restoration. The structure was fully disassembled, restored, and reassembled during this campaign. Despite the extensive restoration, elements such as stone intarsia, gilding, and painted stonework—particularly on the underside—may be original. Designed in the Gothic style, the ciborium features spiky pinnacles, crockets, trefoil arches, and a slender tabernacle. Niches within the structure contain statues and figures, while sculpted reliefs appear in the lunettes and pediments. Re-used stones from early Christian monuments were incorporated into the design. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence.

Description

San Paolo Fuori le Mura, Rome

Citation

“San Paolo Fuori le Mura,” Roman Churches Wiki, last modified December 26, 2023, https://romanchurches.fandom.com/wiki/San_Paolo_fuori_le_Mura; Anita F. Moskowitz, “Arnolfo, Non-Arnolfo: New (And Some Old) Observations on the Ciborium in San Paolo fuori le mura,” Gesta 37, no. 1 (1998), 88-102.

Publisher

License

Journal

Volume

Issue

PubMed ID

External DOI

ISSN

EISSN