Crucifix

Research Projects

Organizational Units

Journal Issue

Alternative Title

Abstract

In the fourth chapel on the right of Santa Maria in Traspontina in Rome, known as the Chapel of the Crucifix, hangs a polychrome wood crucifix of uncertain date and origin, likely from the fifteenth century. The chapel was built in the sixteenth century specifically to house this crucifix, which was transferred from the original Santa Maria in Traspontina, destroyed during the pontificate of Pius IV (1559–1565). The polychromy appears visibly thick, probably a result of numerous repaintings. Photograph(s) licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Description

Santa Maria in Traspontina, Rome

Citation

Information from church signage.

Publisher

License

Journal

Volume

Issue

PubMed ID

External DOI

ISSN

EISSN