Raffaello da Montelupo
MetadataShow full item record
This large crucifix, currently housed in the museum of the Cenacolo di Sant'Apollonia in Florence, was made by Raffaello da Montelupo in 1537-40. Raffaello, the son of Baccio da Montelupo (also a sculptor of crucifixes), was a sculptor and architect who was one of Michelangelo's assistants. By this time, sculptors in Florence stopped adding colour to their sculptures, following Michelangelo. (Previously almost all sculptures, including ones made of marble, were partially or fully polychromed.) Crucifixes, however, were an exception. Almost always made of wood, these classically inspired nudes continued to be naturalistically painted despite the change in taste. This crucifix is made of wood with a loincloth made from a piece of fabric, dipped in gesso and then wrapped around the figure. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.