Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorRaffaello da Montelupoen_US
dc.date.accessioned2018-09-06T16:29:17Z
dc.date.available2018-09-06T16:29:17Z
dc.date.created1537-40en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1974/24644
dc.descriptionCenacolo di Sant'Apollonia, Florenceen_US
dc.description.abstractThis large crucifix, currently housed in the museum of the Cenacolo di Sant'Apollonia in Florence, was made by Raffaello da Montelupo in 1537-40. Raffaello, the son of Baccio da Montelupo (also a sculptor of crucifixes), was a sculptor and architect who was one of Michelangelo's assistants. By this time, sculptors in Florence stopped adding colour to their sculptures, following Michelangelo. (Previously almost all sculptures, including ones made of marble, were partially or fully polychromed.) Crucifixes, however, were an exception. Almost always made of wood, these classically inspired nudes continued to be naturalistically painted despite the change in taste. This crucifix is made of wood with a loincloth made from a piece of fabric, dipped in gesso and then wrapped around the figure. Photograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.en_US
dc.format.mediumWooden_US
dc.subjectCrucifixen_US
dc.subjectChristen_US
dc.subjectCrossen_US
dc.subjectJesusen_US
dc.titleCrucifixen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.holderUna D'Eliaen_US
dc.rights.licensePhotograph(s) licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licenseen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record